|May 22, 2014||Volume 14 Issue No 4|
Amit Ranade, Chair
Grant Degginer, Vice Chair
Kathy Turner, Member
Katrina Asay, Member
Citizen Action Complaint)
Report to Commission re:
Supporters of I-522
(Organic Consumers Association; Organic Consumers Fund; Organic Consumers Fund
Committee to Label GMOs in Washington State (OCF-WA State PAC); Volunteers for
I-522; 522Parents.org; Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps; and Ben & Jerry’s Ice
Cream) Tracking No. T14-053 involving alleged violations
of RCW 42.17A.205 by failing to timely and accurately register as a political
committee; RCW 42.17A.235 and .240 by failing to file reports of contributions
and expenditures; RCW 42.17A.255 by failing to file, or timely file,
Independent Expenditure reports; and RCW 42.17A.320 by failing to include the
proper sponsor identification on political advertisements that supported I-522.
Staff summarized the 45-day Citizen Action Complaint filed with the Attorney
General’s office on October 25, 2014 by Rob Macguire.
reviewed the findings of the preliminary investigation and determined a formal
investigation was not warranted regarding the allegations made against the
Commission accepted staff recommendation in PDC Case Tracking No. T14-053 and dismissed all allegations.
A public hearing was held where
the Commission considered New WAC 390-17-301,
Eligibility to receive primary election contributions, and the proposed
amendments to WAC 390-16-105 Mini Campaign reporting – Eligibility; WAC
390-16-125 Mini Campaign reporting – Exceeding limitations; and WAC 390-16-063,
Additional information regarding C-6 report filing. Language relating to
mini reporting thresholds and the guidelines for switching from mini to full
The Commission approved new rule WAC 390-17-30, amended rules WAC 390-16-105 , WAC 390-16-125, and WAC 390-16-063.
Commission granted new Personal Financial Statement (F-1) reporting
modifications that exempt:
- Keith Fred
Candidate, Commissioner, Skamania County, from disclosing the business and
other governmental customers that paid $10,000 or more during the previous 12
months Wilkins, Kaiser, Olsen Inc (WKO), High Cascade Inc. and High Cascade
Forest LLC., of which his spouse is a Secretary and Member.
- Lisa Janicki, Candidate, Commissioner,
Skagit County, from disclosing the business and other governmental customers
that paid $10,000 or more during the previous 12 months to Janicki Industries,
- Lisa Napoli O’Toole, Candidate, Judge, King
County District Court, from disclosing her personal residential address
information, including street address, parcel number, or legal description
covering the last 12-months.
Municipal Court Judge, City of Federal Way, from disclosing her personal
residential address information of the home she purchased in 2013, including
street address, parcel number, or lega description.
- John R. Ruhl, Judge, King County Superior
Court, from disclosing her personal residential address information, including
street address, parcel number, or legal description covering the last
Commission granted a renewal, with change to Personal Financial
Statement (F-1) reporting modifications that exempt:
- Steven Hill, Trustee, Seattle Community
College from disclosing the business customers that paid $10,000 or more during
the reporting period to Washington Public Affairs Network (TVW), Puget Sound
Health Alliance, Consumers Union, Leapfrog Group and Seattle Symphony, entities
for which he serves as director or trustee.
- Carol K. Nelson, Director, Department of Revenue, from disclosing the
business and other governmental customers that paid $10,000 or more during 2013
to Seattle University, and Housing Hope Properties where her spouse serves on
the board of directors.
- Marc Daudon, Executive Board Member, Energy Northwest, from
disclosing the business customers who paid $10,000 or more during 2013 to Cascadia
Consulting Group Inc., where he is President.
Commission granted renewals, with no change to Personal Financial
Statement (F-1) reporting modifications to:
- Don Benton, Senator, 17th
- Bruce Dammeier, Senator, 25th
- Lorrell D’Oliveira-Noahr, Professional Staff,
Washington State Legislature
- Theresa B. Doyle, Judge, King County Superior Court
- Julia L. Garratt, Judge, King County Superior Court
- Claire S. Grace, Member, Higher Education Facilities
- Norman Gutzwiler, Commissioner, Chelan County
Public Utility District
- Drew Hansen, Representative, 23rd
- David B. Johnston, Director, Snohomish School
- Dan Kristiansen, Representative, 39th
- Linda C. Lee, Judge, Court of Appeals,
- Bradley Maxa, Judge, Court of Appeals,
- Kathleen M. O’Sullivan, Member, Commission on
- Glenn M. Phillips, Municipal Court Judge, City
- Amit Ranade, Commissioner, Public Disclosure Commission
- Rodney Reid, Commissioner, Port of Waterman
- Orin C. Smith, Regent, University of Washington
- Mark Thompson, Commissioner, Thurston County Fire
- Lucinda Whaley, Commission Member,
Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
- Robert H. Whaley, Trustee, Eastern Washington
- Matthew W. Williams Judge, King County District Court
- Benson D. Wong, Council Member, City of
The Commission meeting materials can be found at
www.pdc.wa.gov under Commission Meetings.
For additional information concerning these issues contact Lori Anderson, Communications & Training Officer,
at (360) 664-2737, toll free 1-877-601-2828 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next regular meeting of the Public Disclosure Commission is tentatively scheduled for June 26, 2014.