This matter was heard by the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission (Commission) on October 25, 2018, at the Public Disclosure Commission Office, 711 Capitol Way, Room 206, Olympia, Washington 98504. The hearing was held pursuant to Chapter 34.05 RCW, Chapter 42.17A RCW, and Chapter 390-37 WAC.
Commissioners present were Anne Levinson, Commission Chair (presiding); David Ammons, Commission Vice-Chair; and Commissioner William Downing. Also present were Assistant Attorney General John S. Meader representing the Commission; Fox Blackhorn-Delph, PDC Compliance Coordinator; Tabatha Blacksmith, PDC Compliance Coordinator; and Assistant Attorney General Chad Standifer on behalf of PDC Staff. Respondent Stephen Holman participated telephonically. The proceeding was open to the public and recorded.
The hearing concerned allegations that Respondent violated RCW 42.17 A. 700 by failing
to file a Personal Financial Affairs Statement (F-1 report) for calendar year 2017 no later than
April 16, 2018.
CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
1. The Commission has jurisdiction over this proceeding pursuant to Chapter 42.17A RCW, the State campaign finance and disclosure law; Chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative Procedure Act; and Title 390 WAC.
2. RCW 42.17A.700 states in part: "After January 1st and before April 15th of each year, every elected official and every executive state officer shall file with the commission a statement of financial affairs for the preceding calendar year."
3. WAC 390-24-025 states in part: "Any person holding elected public office, except as exempted by the terms of RCW 42.17 A. 700, ... is required to file the statement of financial affairs if such person holds such public office between January 1 and April 15 of any year. Such report shall be for the preceding calendar year."
4. Respondent Stephen Holman violated RCW 42.17A.700 by failing to file the F-1 report
for calendar year 2017 no later than April 16, 2018.
1. The Initial Order is AMENDED and the $250 total civil penalty is vacated due to the
following mitigating circumstances: the Respondent was not a candidate for election in 2017,
was served reminders of his obligations to an incorrect physical address and e-mail address, had
extenuating medical issues that prevented him from timely filing the F-1 report, and the
Respondent filed the F-1 report prior to the Review Hearing.
2. Respondent Stephen Holman will file all required PDC reports in accordance with RCW 42.17A.755(4) and have no further violations of Chapter 42.17A RCW or Title 390 WAC within four years of this order.Disposition: Violation Found by Commission (Resolved 10/31/2018)