It depends on your plans for the funds.

  • All uses of surplus funds can be conducted directly from the campaign account with the exception of reimbursement of public office-related expenses.  In that case, you must open a separate bank account and file a C1 with the PDC to register the surplus funds account. 
  • If the funds are to be used for the next election, you can leave them in the same bank account and begin using them for the new election once you’ve filed a C1 registering the new campaign with the PDC.
  • However, once contributions for the new election are deposited into the account, the funds become active campaign funds and are no longer surplus funds.