Here's where you can find updates to filer guidance and timely reminders about how to properly disclose campaign or lobbying activity.


March 27, 2020

We’re updating our Online Reporting of Campaign Activity (ORCA) software. 

This update – to version 1.207 – is the latest step in a process that began last year with the launch of the PDC’s new candidate and committee registration application.  

The new version makes technical changes necessary for eventually transitioning data into a web-based campaign reporting system for submitting C-3 and C-4 reports. That system is expected to replace ORCA in late 2021. 

Read more

March 25, 2020

PDC staff remain on the job – albeit remotely – and available to help with any filing problems you might have during this time. You can reach us at or 360-753-1111.

That said, we understand that candidates and committees may encounter challenges due to conditions caused by the COVID-19 emergency. Here are some answers to common questions we’re hearing. We’ll update this list as needed.

Determining contribution “received” Read more

February 12, 2020

If you have recently filed a new candidate or committee registration and picked full reporting, you will need to get ORCA set up to begin tracking contributions and expenses.

After downloading ORCA, pick Setup Wizard. It will automatically populate with the current calendar year. You may need to change the year depending on your situation. 

February 10, 2020

When candidates make joint purchases — say for a booth at the fair or food and beverages at an event  they need to be careful to make and report the payments correctly. 

Each candidate should pay an equal share of the expenditure and make the payment directly to the vendor. Direct payment avoids a situation in Read more

February 5, 2020

Holding an auction or fundraiser? Using ORCA makes reporting these tasks easy.

Auctions: Before the auction make a list of donated items; include the description, fair market value, and the donor’s name, address and occupation/employer information if the donor is an individual. During the auction, keep track of who buys the item and the amount of the winning bid. Get the bidder’s name, address, and occupation/employer information if the bidder is an individual. Read more

January 24, 2020

If you or your organization employed a lobbyist at any time in 2019, you need to file a lobbyist employer’s annual report, the form L-3.  You should also file one if a lobbyist reported that they had a contract to lobby for you in 2019, even if they didn’t actually end up lobbying.  The due date for the L-3 form is March 2, 2020 this year.

File your L-3 report online through our web page  Read more

January 8, 2020

Electronic filing of financial affairs disclosure (F-1) statements has moved to a new user experience designed to simplify filing and to help filers know what to report.

See our video for a brief overview of the new system and its features. You can also watch this longer training video for step-by-step instruction.

Read more

January 8, 2020

Effective Jan. 1, 2020, lobbyists must complete the new Legislative Code of Conduct training to be eligible to lobby. 

Once you have completed the training course, you need to update your information with the Public Disclosure Commission.

The PDC lobbyist reporting system you use to Read more

January 7, 2020

If you file for a continuing political committee, such as a political party committee or some other committee that is not tied to one election, and the committee intends to use the mini reporting option this year, you must update the committee registration in January to indicate that.

Read more

December 30, 2019

Elected and appointed officials who file annual financial affairs disclosure (F-1) reports with the Public Disclosure Commission should be aware of new laws that modify some of the reporting requirements.

Here are three need-to-know changes:

1. Small jurisdictions redefined

The definition of small jurisdiction has expanded Read more

December 26, 2019

Beginning Jan. 2, 2020, appointed and elected officials required to submit Personal Financial Affairs (F-1) disclosures will use a new online system to submit their statements.

Parts of that new system – including the ability for filers to view past F-1 statements – are now available.

The Public Disclosure Commission encourages filers to take this opportunity to become familiar with the new portal and get early access to their F-1 information Read more

December 24, 2019

You may have questions about whether to report lobbying compensation when you earn it, or when you are paid.

Compensation should be reported for the month you earn it, and lobbying compensation must be reported monthly during any month that you lobby.

A contract lobbyist, for example, should report lobbying compensation earned for the month. An in-house lobbyist should report compensation paid for the hours lobbied in that month.


December 10, 2019

Major changes are coming to Personal Financial Affairs Disclosure (F-1) reports. Here is an overview:

December 6, 2019

Wondering what you may do with campaign funds remaining when the election's over?

After you’ve repaid any loans to the campaign, whatever’s left is surplus campaign funds. There are seven ways that you may use that leftover money.

Some of those ways are:

  • Donate to a charity registered with the Secretary of State’s office.
  • Leave the surplus funds in the campaign account for use in a future election campaign.
  • Return contributions to your Read more