Here's where you can find updates to filer guidance and timely reminders about how to properly disclose campaign or lobbying activity.


July 26, 2019

When you register a candidate’s election campaign or a political committee, you chose full or mini reporting. A candidate who chooses mini submits only one other document, the F-1 personal financial affairs statement. A political committee that picks mini reporting has no additional reports to submit. 

Bear in mind that a mini reporting candidate or committee can raise and spend no more than $5,000 during the election campaign, or, for a continuing committee, $5,000 per calendar year Read more

July 11, 2019

The amount that a political party may donate to your election campaign depends on how many registered voters there are in the jurisdiction where you’re running.  If you don’t have that number entered into ORCA, even a $1 contribution will make ORCA say that they gave too much.

If you’re running for Legislature or a county office, the number of voters in your legislative district or county is available from a chart Read more

June 28, 2019

Candidates for port districts face contribution limits ⁠— many for the first time ⁠— under a new state law that takes effect July 28

June 26, 2019

The amount that your party may donate to your election campaign depends on how many registered voters there are in the jurisdiction where you’re running. 

If you don’t have that number entered into ORCA, even a one dollar contribution will make ORCA say that the party gave too much.

The number of voters in every legislative district or county is available from a chart here. If you need the number of Read more

June 20, 2019
Candidates filing as mini filers take heed! The deadline (June 24, 2019) is quickly approaching if you wish to change your reporting option from mini to full before the primary. (If participating in the general election, the deadline is September 3, 2019.)
What’s the difference between mini and full filers, you say? Mini filers agree to raise and spend no more than $5,000, in addition to the amount spent on their filing fee, and who will receive no more than $500 Read more
June 11, 2019

If you file for a candidate or a political committee, our website may ask you to log in to your SAW account. SAW stands for Secure Access Washington. SAW allows you to securely file data with many Washington state agencies.  If you already have a SAW account, use that one for your PDC filing — you don’t have to make a new account for us.  If you don’t have a SAW account, it’s a quick and easy process to get one. 

You can create a SAW account  Read more

June 7, 2019
A new state law means some changes for campaigns and others who file reports with the Public Disclosure Commission.
The PDC requested the legislation this year based on feedback from the regulated community and the public. Substitute House Bill 1195, passed in May, clarifies some areas of the state’s campaign finance and lobbying disclosure law, enacts reforms to Read more
May 29, 2019

Filing fees are a permissible expenditure for a candidate’s campaign committee. (Click here for more information on permissible expenditures.) Candidates registered under full reporting report the expenditure (or reimbursement, in-kind loan or in-kind contribution if the candidate paid the fees out of their own pocket) on their May C-4 reports. 

If Read more

May 14, 2019

Puzzled as to how to report transaction fees from your online contributions in ORCA? Enter the full amount of the contribution that was authorized by the donor, including the transaction fee (Transactions>Contributions>Monetary Contributions). Then enter the transaction fee as an expense paid to the vendor (Transactions>Expenditures>Monetary Expenditures). Your C-3 report will not match your deposit slip for this contribution so be sure to note the discrepancy in your campaign Read more

May 14, 2019

If you have installed the latest version of the Online Reporting of Campaign Activity (ORCA) software, chances are it is asking you for an "access token."

Access tokens are generated in the new campaign registration application. You will need to first access your committee in that application by selecting "Access an old committee by filer ID Read more

May 2, 2019

Recycling yard signs from a previous campaign? Make sure you report the use of the signs correctly. 

How to disclose the re-use of yard signs depends on whether you are using signs from a campaign for the same office or a different office. If the signs were originally used in a prior run for the same office, the PDC recommends candidates simply make a note for their own records that the signs were purchased, and reported, in the previous campaign.

April 29, 2019

Are you planning on sending out large groups of emails to campaign supporters? Keep in mind, if you send out 100 or more identical or substantially similar emails, letters, or text messages within a 30-day period, this is considered a “mass communication” and sponsor identification is required. (WAC 390-05-290)

Make sure to include language such as, “Paid for by Jane Doe for Mayor, 500 W Main St, Spokane, WA  Read more

April 24, 2019

When you’ve entered contributions that your campaign receives into ORCA, you’re not done yet — you also have to show that you’ve put that money into the bank. 

To do so, click on "Transactions" and then "Make a Deposit." The date field in the upper left is for the date that you made that deposit. Make one deposit window for every day that money goes into the account. If you make multiple deposits (or electronic funds transfers into the bank account) on the same day, you still want to Read more

April 5, 2019
The bottom section of an F-1 personal financial affairs statement has yes or no questions, and the last couple are about you or your family members receiving free meals, travel, or training. 
If you answer “yes,” you’ll have to fill out part of the supplement form.  If you’re using the electronic form, the supplement that you need to fill out will appear when you answer “yes” to one of those questions. 
A few things to keep Read more
March 28, 2019

Wondering how to report a meal with a state legislator that involves multiple lobbyists representing multiple employers? 

Each lobbyist would show the amount that they paid in the "entertainment" section of their monthly report. Then, in the "participant listing" field of the electronic form, the lobbyist would disclose the total cost of the meal and note how many lobbyists split the bill. Each participant would be listed and have the amount of food and beverage that was actually Read more