This matter was heard by the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission (Commission) on October 25, 2018, at the Public Disclosure Commission Office, 711 Capitol Way, Room 206, Olympia, Washington 98504. The hearing was held pursuant to Chapter 34.05 RCW, Chapter 42.17 A RCW, and Title 390-37 WAC.
Commissioners present were Anne Levinson, Commission Chair (presiding); David Ammons, Commission Vice-Chair; and Commissioner and William Downing. Also present were Assistant Attorney General John S. Meader representing the Commission; Fox Blackhom-Delph, PDC Compliance Coordinator; Tabatha Blacksmith, PDC Compliance Coordinator; and Assistant Attorney General Chad Standifer on behalf of PDC Staff. Respondent Iris Carias did not participate in the proceeding. The proceeding was open to the public and recorded.
The hearing concerned allegations that Respondent violated RCW 42.17 A. 700 by failing
to file a Personal Financial Affairs Statement (F-1 report) for calendar year 201 7, due not later
than April 16, 2018.
CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
1. The Commission has jurisdiction over this proceeding pursuant to Chapter 42.17 A RCW,
the State campaign finance and disclosure law; Chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative
Procedure Act; and Title 390 WAC.
2. RCW 42.17 A. 700 states in part: "After January I st and before April 15th of each year, every elected official and every executive state officer shall file with the commission a statement
of financial affairs for the preceding calendar year."
3. WAC 390-24-025 states in part: "Any person holding elected public office, except as
exempted by the te1ms of RCW 42.17 A. 700, ... is required to file the statement of financial
affairs if such person holds such public office between January 1 and April 15 of any year. Such
report shall be for the preceding calendar year."
4. Respondent Iris Carias violated RCW 42.17 A. 700 by failing to timely file a Personal
Pinancial Affairs Statement (F-1 report) for calendar year 2017.
Based upon the Findings and Conclusions, the Commission orders that:
1. The Initial Order is AMENDED and $150 of Respondent lris Carias's total civil penalty
of $250 is suspended on the condition that she file her F-1 report by November 2, 2018, and pay
the remaining $100 fine within 30 days of the date of this Amended Final Order. If by November
2, 2018, the F-1 report is not filed, or within 30 days of this Amended Final Order the nonsuspended
$ 100 fine is not paid, the total civil penalty of $250 is due and payable within 30 days
of the date of this Amended Final Order without further action by the Commission.
2. Iris Carias shall timely file future F-t reports as required by Chapter 42.17 A RCW.