A complaint was filed against Christopher Rufo, a first-time candidate for Seattle City Council in 2019, alleging that he may have violated RCW 42.17A.430 by donating funds remaining from his 2019 Campaign to a charitable organization that was not properly registered in accordance with RCW 19.09.
Staff's review found that Mr. Rufo:
(1) Was a first-time candidate for public office in 2019 and unfamiliar with the PDC laws, rules and reporting requirements for a candidate.
(2) Terminated his Campaign in November of 2018, more than six months prior to Candidate Filing week (May of 2019).
(3) Contacted PDC staff after terminating his candidacy for Seattle City Council seeking advice on the disposal of his remaining campaign funds.
(4) Made a good-faith effort to dispose of his 2019 surplus funds by timely disclosing the two surplus funds expenditures on a C-4 report, that included the $10,000 expenditure made to the Documentary Foundation, a charitable organization that he is involved with.
(5) Took steps to remedy the error by promptly registering the Documentary Foundation with the Secretary of State's Office in accordance with RCW 19.09 once staff informed him of the requirement.
Based on these findings, and the facts listed above, staff determined that in this instance, the allegations do not warrant further investigation, and has dismissed this matter in accordance with RCW 42.17A.755(1).
Disposition: Case Closed with Reminder (Resolved 10/07/2019)