BEFORE THE PUBLIC DISCLOSURE COMMISSION
OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
In Re: Compliance with RCW 42.17A
PDC Case 65098
Findings of Fact,
Conclusions of Law, and
Order Imposing Fine
Pursuant to the brief enforcement hearing (brief adjudicative proceeding) notice sent to Alma Gottlieb-McHale on February 14, 2020, a brief adjudicative proceeding was held on February 28, 2020, in Room 206, Evergreen Plaza Building, 711 Capitol Way, Olympia, Washington, to consider whether the Respondent violated RCW 42.17A.615 by failing to file Monthly Lobbyist Expense Reports (L-2 reports) as a lobbyist for the 2019 calendar year. The L-2 reports were due to be filed by the 15th of each month, disclosing lobbying activities in the previous calendar month.
The hearing was held in accordance with Chapters 34.05 RCW and 42.17A RCW and Chapter 390-37 WAC. Commission Chair Dave Ammons was the Presiding Officer. The Commission staff was represented by Tabitha Townsend, Compliance Coordinator. The Respondent participated in the hearing telephonically and by written statement.
Having considered the evidence, the Presiding Officer finds as follows:
FINDINGS OF FACT
1. The Respondent was a registered lobbyist in the State of Washington during calendar year 2019.
2. As a registered lobbyist, the Respondent was required to file the L-2 reports by the 15th of each month, disclosing compensation and lobbying expenses in the prior calendar month, such as travel, entertainment, contributions, advertising, and other lobbying expenses.
3. The Respondent filed the missing L-2 reports for August through November of 2019 prior to the date of the hearing.
4. The Respondent did not lobby during December 2019.
5. The Respondent has no prior violations.
CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
Based on the above facts, as a matter of law, the Presiding Officer concludes as follows:
1. This matter was duly and properly convened and all jurisdictional, substantive, and procedural requirements have been satisfied.
2. The Respondent violated RCW 42.17A.615 by failing to file the L-2 reports by the 15th of the month as required.
On the basis of the foregoing Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law,
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the Respondent is assessed a civil penalty of $150, with $150 suspended, in accordance with the L-2 penalty schedule set forth in WAC 390-37-143. The suspended portion of the penalty is upon condition that the Respondent:
1. Commits no further violations of Chapter 42.17A RCW or Title 390 WAC for a period of four years following the date of this Order.
This is an Initial Order of the Public Disclosure Commission.
Entered this 9th day of March.
Public Disclosure Commission