The law states that it is a violation for any person or entity to pay or agree to pay any consideration to a person for lobbying unless that person is registered as a lobbyist with PDC. [RCW 42.17A.650]
A lobbyist must register with the PDC within 30 days of contracting to lobby or before lobbying begins, whichever occurs first.
A lobbyist required to register may not:
- Engage in any activity as a lobbyist before registering;
- Knowingly deceive or attempt to deceive any legislator as to any fact pertaining to any pending or proposed legislation;
- Cause or influence the introduction of any bill or amendment for the purpose of afterwards being employed to secure its defeat;
- Knowingly represent an interest adverse to any of his/her employers without first obtaining the employer's written consent and after full disclosure of the adverse interest;
- Exercise any undue influence, extortion, or unlawful retaliation upon any legislator by reason of the legislator's position or his vote on any pending or proposed legislation;
- Enter into an agreement, arrangement, or understanding that all or a portion of the person's compensation is contingent upon the success of any attempt to influence legislation.