February 27, 2019

Wondering if your campaign can keep a contribution from a supporter who is too young to vote? Or from a person born or living abroad? In many cases, the answer is yes.

A non-citizen who is a permanent resident and has a green card may donate to your campaign. No green card, no contribution. You also are allowed to take a campaign contribution from a U.S. citizen who is living in a foreign country.

Someone under 18 years of age can donate too, but it's mom and/or dad who will likely get the credit. You should record the donation as a contribution from both parents, 50/50, unless the child has only one custodial parent. The exception would be a minor who has been emancipated by the court — count that one as coming from the kid.

For a fuller discussion of who can and can't give to Washington state campaigns, check our "Persons Prohibited From Making Contributions" page.