Since continuing political committees “close out” at the end of every calendar year, there is some extra work to be done in January to prepare for another year of reporting.
You will need to know the “cash on hand” balance from Line 18 of the C-4 filed for December 2019. Please DO NOT use a beginning balance that does not match your bank balance. Doing this recreates any aggregation problems from previous years. Please contact PDC staff
for guidance on correcting earlier reports.
Instructions for PACS using ORCA
Backup your 2019 data
First, make a backup of your campaign data from 2019 and update your version of ORCA. To update your ORCA, go here
To create a backup:
- At the home screen of ORCA, click BACKUP CAMPAIGN DATA icon
- Edit the “file name” field to remove the “*” leaving the “.zip” extension
- Choose the location where you want to save the zip file you created
Create a campaign for 2020
- Create a new committee using the setup wizard in ORCA. Enter the reporting year as 2020, the campaign start date as 1/1/2020 and paste in the access token you previously received. If you did not save the token, click here. When the page displays, click on your campaign. At the top left of your campaign screen, click Access. At the next page, click Add Token to get a new token.
- Enter your beginning bank balance (should match the "cash on hand" from Line 18 of the December C-4) as carry forward cash; FILE>COMMITTEE INFORMATION>CARRY FORWARD CASH. Click the green “plus” sign and enter the amount
- Be sure to select the election in which your committee is participating (FILE>COMMITTEE INFORMATION>C4 REPORTING PERIODS)
- Check the committee's last C-1pc and file an amendment if any information has changed. A committee must update its registration electronically. You may do so through the PDC web page here. For instructions on how to access your committee’s account, please check the videos “How to get a Secure Access Washington Account” and “How to gain access to an existing committee” on our guides and training videos page. Written instructions are also available on the website.
Import your contacts
You can import your lists(s) of contacts from the 2019 ORCA data into your newly created 2020 ORCA campaign so you don’t have to re-type them. Your contacts are found by going to ACCOUNTS>CONTACTS>INDIVIDUALS. The import process will go smoothly if you don’t have any errors in your current list. In the 2019 campaign, use the “browse” button found in the bottom right corner of ACCOUNTS>CONTACTS>INDIVIDUALS (or the appropriate choice) to review your 2019 list. Delete any empty lines you find in your list. Repeat this process for your couple contacts (ACCOUNTS>CONTACTS>COUPLES) making sure all your “couple” contacts have both an appropriate “couple name” and separate unique contact entries. Please review your "other" contacts, (ACCOUNTS>CONTACTS>OTHERS) are correct as well.
If you import contacts from 2019 to 2020 and errors exist in the 2019 campaign, ORCA will halt the import process. If you import a second time it will import the entire list again, subsequently duplicating the names from the first attempt. You can delete the duplicates after the import process is successful or choose to start over by deleting the 2020 campaign and repeating steps 1-4 in the section above.
- On ORCA desktop, click IMPORT AND EXPORT
- Click “IMPORT from another program or file”
- Click NEXT
- Click ORCA DATASET
- Click NEXT
- Select the closed campaign that has the names you wish to export FROM
- Click NEXT
- Double click the name of the new campaign committee you wish to import INTO
- Click NEXT
- Check items you wish to import
- Click IMPORT
- Click FINISH