Frequently asked questions for new political committees. These questions and answers are intended to help new committees get started off on the right foot and to help existing committees find the information and resources they need.


When are contribution and expenditure reports due?

C-3 Contribution Reports: Before June 1 of the election year, committees fill out a C-3 report for each bank deposit and file these reports with their C-4 reports.  Beginning June 1, each deposit must be reported no later than the following Monday.  Since contributions must be deposited within 5 business days of receipt, active campaigns will make at least one weekly deposit.

C-4 Summary Reports: This report, along with its attached schedules, summarizes the committee’s financial activity and shows itemized expenditures for a specific period.  C-4s are due:

  • Monthly from the beginning of the campaign through May of the election year.  If a campaign has over $200 in contributions or expenditures during a month, a C-4 report is filed by the 10th of the following month. 
  • Starting in June of the election year and continuing through the primary and general elections, C-4 reports are due 21 and 7 days before each election and on the 10th of the month after the month the election was held with the candidate’s name on the ballot, even if there was little or no activity to report.

See the PDC's online calendar for report due dates and all other important dates campaigns need to know.

Is the committee required to open a bank account?

Yes.  State law requires that a political committee open a campaign account in a bank, credit union or savings and loan institution.  The name on the account should be the political committee’s name that it registers with the PDC.

Must the committee identify all contributors?

Anyone who gives you more than a total of $25 in monetary and in-kind contributions must be identified by name and full address.  Plus, if an individual gives you more than $100, you must also show this person’s occupation and the name, city and state of his or her employer.

Is there an expenditure restriction?

The mini reporting option has an expenditure maximum of $5,000, but no other expenditure limit exists in state law.  According to statute, no expenditure may legally be made unless it’s authorized by a person named on the political committee’s C-1pc registration statement.  Treasurers are also required to maintain a complete record of all expenditures, including obligations that have not yet been paid by the campaign.

There's probably more to reporting ... right?

Probably. It depends on how much you’re going to raise and spend on the campaign.

If you choose Mini Reporting (because during the course of the election the committee will raise and spend no more than $5,000 and won’t accept more than $500 from any contributor), the C-1pc is all you have to file.  If you choose mini reporting and then realize that it’s not going to work, there is a process to change to full reporting, but the completed application for changing options must be received at the PDC’s office on or before the specified deadline.  The limitations of the mini reporting option as well as the instructions for changing reporting options are fully explained in the PDC's Political Committee Instructions.

If you’re going to raise and spend over $5,000 during the election (or less than that, but you want to accept more than $500 from a contributor), you fall into the Full Reporting category and the political committee must file frequent contribution and expenditure reports (Forms C-3 and    C-4, respectively).  The committee treasurer and other officers should carefully read the Political Committee Instructions.