Reporting Options Explained

All candidates who are required to register a campaign must select either the full or mini reporting option.  The choice is guided by the amount of money a candidate intends to raise and spend on the campaign.  Regardless of which option outlined below is chosen, all candidates and political committees must keep accurate, detailed records and be prepared to receive requests to make these records available for public inspection during the 10 days preceding the primary, general or special election in which they're participating.

Mini Reporting:

This reporting option is only available to candidates who will raise and spend no more than $5,000, in addition to the amount spent on their filing fee, and who will receive no more than $500 from any one contributor other than themselves.  Filing fees paid for by political party committees are also exempt from the $500 contribution limit threshold. Candidates choosing mini reporting do not file contribution and expenditure reports, but they must file a registration statement (the C-1 form), keep records of their contributions and expenditures, and comply with these disclosure requirements:

Full Reporting: 

State or local contribution limits apply, but there is no cap on how much a candidate may raise and spend overall.  Frequent, detailed reports of the contributions they received and made are required.

Changing Reporting Options

Candidates should carefully consider how much money they intend to raise and spend, research past campaigns for the same office, and select the reporting option that they intend to comply with for the duration of the campaign.  The PDC realizes that candidates are not always able to accurately forecast campaign costs and may need to switch to a different reporting option.  

From mini to full reporting:

Changing from mini to full reporting requires the PDC staff’s approval. For any election other than the general election, the deadline is 30 business days before the election. Aug. 31 is the deadline for the general election. Please see our Important Dates calendar for this year's dates. 

Submit your request at our helpdesk portal. Choose "request mini-to-full permission."

So long as a completed application for changing options is received by the deadline, the application will be approved. At the time of your request, you must not have exceeded the mini reporting limits. 

In order to change from one reporting option to another, a candidate must notify all opponents in writing of the change (certified mail is suggested) and send the following documents to the PDC’s executive director:

  • a letter or email requesting to change from Mini to Full which includes a statement verifying you have notified each opposing candidate or committee in writing of your plan to change reporting options; and
  • a copy of the notification to the opponents.
Additionally, the following items must be completed and filed electronically:
  • PDC forms C-3 and C-4 with relevant schedules and attachments disclosing all contributions and expenditures from the start of the campaign to the current date.
Filing these reports can take some time – don’t wait until the last minute if you are going to change options.

If a candidate or political committee wishes to change from mini to full reporting and the completed application for changing options is received at the PDC’s office on or before the deadline, the application will be approved by the executive director.  Approval to change reporting options received after the deadline will only be approved under the following circumstances:

  • A write-in opponent has filed for office after the deadline;
  • An independent expenditure is made in support of the applicant’s opponent or in opposition to the applicant after the deadline;
  • A candidate’s opponent has been approved to change reporting options; or
  • A political committee on one side of an election campaign or proposition has opposition who received approval to change reporting options.

Changing from full to mini reporting option: 

No approval is necessary as long as the mini reporting limits have not been exceeded. Simply amend the candidate registration statement (PDC form C-1) indicating the new option. You are responsible for completing the reports that were due during the time you were under full reporting.