Frequently asked questions for new lobbyists. These questions and answers are intended to help new lobbyists get started off on the right foot and to help existing lobbyists find the information and resources they need.


What determines whether a lobbyist must register with the PDC?

The lobbyist is paid or somehow compensated in exchange for lobbying state government:  attempting to influence the passage or defeat of legislation by lobbying the governor, members of the legislature, or their staff members or lobbying a state agency to set rules, rates or standards. "Legislation" includes "any other matter that may be the subject of action" by the Legislature, so lobbying includes contacts with legislators and their staff about potential legislation as well as possibly efforts to educate them about an issue or an organization. 

The lobbyist must register within 30 days of contracting to lobby or before lobbying begins, whichever happens first.  The registration must be updated if any of the information changes while it is in effect.  The PDC has an online filing system available for lobbyist registration and reporting.

Is any compensated lobbyist exempt from registering?

Yes.  Registration is waived if the lobbyist:

  • limits activities to public legislative committee sessions or state agency public hearings;
  • participates in an effort, at the request of an agency, to reach a consensus on possible rule making – but once the agency files notice of the proposed rule, efforts to influence action are no longer exempt; or
  • restricts lobbying to no more than four days – or parts of four days – during any three consecutive months and spends no more than $35 during the three month period for or on behalf of the state officials or employees in connection with the lobbying effort

Read more about registration exemption.

Do I have to file disclosure reports?

Any lobbyist who is required to register must also file monthly expenditure reports.  These reports disclose compensation received and lobbying-related expenditures, such as entertainment, gifts, campaign contributions, and subject matter experts.  Giving campaign contributions of $1,000 or more close to an election triggers additional reporting.  Lobbyists who arrange for political advertising should familiarize themselves with the independent expenditure and electioneering communications disclosure requirements.

Does my employer have to file disclosure reports?

Yes.  The employer has an annual filing requirement at the end of the year.  Additionally, if the employer gives contributions directly to candidates that are not reported by the lobbyist, the employer must file a special monthly report.  The lobbyist may report all contributions, but must report any that s/he directs or delivers.

Do I have to file electronically?

E-filing is required.