Frequently asked questions for new lobbyists. These questions and answers are intended to help new lobbyists get started off on the right foot and to help existing lobbyists find the information and resources they need.


When are reports due?

Lobbyists’ monthly expenditure reports are filed no later than the 15th of the following month.  The employer’s annual report must be filed no later than the last day of February.  Special reports are required when you or the employer contribute $1,000 or more to a particular campaign during the week before the primary election or the three weeks before the general election.

Are there restrictions or prohibitions?

It is illegal for any person or entity to pay or agree to pay or otherwise compensate a person for lobbying unless that person is registered.  Furthermore, a lobbyist may not:

  • engage in paid lobbying before registering;
  • knowingly deceive or attempt to deceive any legislator as to any fact pertaining to any pending or proposed legislation;
  • cause or influence the introduction of any bill or amendment for the purpose of afterwards being employed to secure its defeat;
  • knowingly represent an interest adverse to any of his/her employers without first obtaining the employer’s written consent and after full disclosure of the adverse interest,
  • exercise any undue influence, extortion, or unlawful retaliation upon any legislator by reason of the legislator’s position or his vote on any pending or proposed legislation; or
  • enter into an agreement, arrangement, or understanding that all or a portion of the person’s compensation is contingent upon the success of any attempt to influence legislation.

I suspect there’s more to reporting . . . right?

Yes.  When entertaining, you need to keep track of and report how much is spent on each person present including the people you are lobbying, their family members, their staff members, other lobbyists, and anyone else who is there to lobby.  For each occasion where more than $50 is spent for food and beverage provided to a state official + family members, you must report to the official how much was spent.  Reporting the cost of travel and education expenses made on behalf of a state official + family members is also required.  This is accomplished using the L-2 Memo report, which should also accompany contributions.

Are reports filed anywhere besides the PDC?