Between campaigns, may I use surplus funds to pay maintenance fees for things like the campaign bank account, P.O. box, and website?

Yes, so long as you register the next campaign Interim maintenance fees are actually expenditures for the next campaign and must be reported to the PDC.

Can the surplus funds sit in my campaign account or do I have to move them to a new account?

It depends on your plans for the funds.

  • All uses of surplus funds can be conducted directly from the campaign account with the exception of reimbursement of public office-related expenses. In that case, you must open a separate bank account and file a C1 with the PDC to register the surplus funds account.
  • If the funds are to be used for the next election, you can leave them in the same bank account and begin using them for the new election once you've filed a C1 registering the new campaign with the PDC.
  • However, once contributions for the new election are deposited into the account, the funds may no longer be considered surplus funds and may not be eligible for transfer. Contact PDC staff for additional guidance.
How do I enter surplus funds from my last campaign?

File>Committee Info>Carry Forward Cash. Click the green "plus" sign and enter the amount. This dollar amount will appear on Line 1 of the first C-4 report for your campaign.

How do I set up and report my surplus funds account?

File a C1 registering the surplus funds account. Send a signature authorization letter to the PDC if you wish to electronically file the surplus funds reports. You will receive a unique Filer ID from the PDC. Transfers into and expenditures from a separate surplus funds account and expenditures of surplus funds from a candidate's campaign account are reported according to the same schedule and in the same manner as normal "C-Series" campaign filings.

If I leave my surplus funds in the same bank account to use for the next election, can I still file my final C-4 for this election?

Do not file the final C4 until the cash on hand amount is zero.

  • Either file a C1 registering the surplus funds account and report a campaign expenditure showing the transfer to the surplus funds account and then file the final C4 for the campaign or
  • File a C1 registering a campaign for the next election and you can leave the funds in the same bank account, but they can only be used for the new campaign and are no longer surplus funds. You can then report the expenditure to the new campaign and file the final C4 report.
What are surplus funds?

Surplus funds are contributions given for an election that remain after the election and that are not needed to pay obligations from the election campaign and may only be disposed of in one or more ways permitted by law. Review the candidate instruction manual found under the Learn tab on the PDC website for a more detailed description of what is allowed. Below is only a brief summary:

  • Return to contributors, so long as the amount returned does not exceed the aggregate amount contributed by that donor. Refunds of contributions made by the candidate to his or her own campaign are subject to restriction.
  • Transferred without limit to a political party or legislative caucus committee
  • Held for use in a future campaign for election.
  • Transferred to the candidate's personal account as payment for earnings lost as a result of campaigning
  • Donated to a charity registered with the Secretary of State's Office
  • Transferred to the state treasurer for deposit in the general fund, oral history, state library and archives or the international trade account
  • Deposited in a separate Surplus Funds Account and then used to pay non-reimbursed public office related expenses or for any of the six purposes outlined above.