The initial registration (PDC Form L-1) a lobbyist files must be accompanied by the Lobbyist ID form and passport size photo of the lobbyist taken in the last 12 months.  A lobbyist or lobbying firm must complete a separate L-1 for each employer.

The L-1

  1. example:  completed L1 formInclude the full name and permanent mailing address of the registered lobbyist.  If the lobbyist is a firm, public relations business, partnership or other entity employing two or more individuals who lobby, give this entity’s name and address (the names of the individual lobbying agents will be listed in line 11).
  2. If you, as the lobbyist, have a session-only address that differs from your permanent address, list it here.  Be sure to include your business telephone numbers, both permanent and temporary, cell phone or pager number and e-mail address.
  3. Show the lobbyist employer’s current address as well as the name and title of the person at the employer’s address to whom questions should be directed and the L-3 form should be sent.  Do not list your own name and/or address unless you are lobbying on your own behalf (i.e., there is no other lobbyist employer).

In the space provided, identify the employer's business or occupation by selecting one of the categories listed below that best describes your employer's occupation or business type:

  • Advertising/Print Media
  • Agriculture
  • Amusements
  • Business Organization (e.g., chamber of commerce or non-aligned business group such as United for Washington; trade associations should choose a more definitive descriptive term (e.g., a medical association would choose "health care: practitioners))
  • Commercial services
  • Construction
  • Education (labor organizations select "unions")
  • Energy: nuclear
  • Energy: petroleum
  • Environment
  • Finance (banks, securities & investment firms)
  • Fisheries
  • Food / Beverage / Lodging
  • Forest / Wood products
  • Government (county & local government associations)
  • Health care: facilities
  • Health care: insurance
  • Health care: practitioners
  • Health care: products
  • Insurance
  • Lobbying firm (only used by subcontractor lobbyists)
  • Manufacturing
  • Mining
  • Real Estate / Development (includes property management)
  • Recreation/Leisure: arts
  • Recreation/Leisure: outdoor
  • Religious organizations
  • Retailing
  • Social / Civil / Fraternal organizations
  • Social services
  • Tobacco
  • Transportation: air
  • Transportation: land
  • Transportation: marine
  • Unions: public employee
  • Unions: teacher
  • Unions: trade
  • Utilities: broadcast
  • Utilities: electric
  • Utilities: telephone
  • Utilities: water & waste
  1. Identify the name of the person who is responsible for keeping the records that substantiate your lobbying reports.  If it’s you, so state.  This person could also be a treasurer or accountant who approves expense payments.
  2. If you receive compensation, salary, or an hourly wage for the time you spend lobbying, indicate how much.  If you are receiving no compensation for lobbying, put “none.”
  3. If you are a regular employee of the lobbyist employer, show your normal rate of pay unless you receive a different amount for the time you spend lobbying.  If you are a contract lobbyist, show the amount specified in your contract for lobbying.
  4. The amount of compensation reported on the L-1 is a general statement of the amount or rate of pay you anticipate for lobbying.  The actual amounts earned will appear on your monthly L-2 reports.
  5. Be sure to check all boxes that describe your employment status with the lobbyist employer.
  6. How and to what degree will you be paid for lobbying expenses other than your salary?  If you pay your expenses from your salary or retainer, check “no” and see L-2 example entitled “Flat Fee, No Expense Payments or Reimbursements Received.”  In the adjoining space, indicate which expenses, if any, the employer will pay directly to the vendor on your behalf, rather than through a reimbursement payment to you.  For example, you charge vehicles you rent for lobbying-related travel to the employer, and the employer, in turn, directly pays the rental company.
  7. Indicate the expected duration of your lobbying effort.  Regardless of what you designate here, the L-2 reports are required until you give notice of termination on line 14 of the L-2 report or provide other written notice.  An L-2 is required, even if it shows zero expenses, for any month or partial month that the registration is in force.
  8. If your lobbyist employer is not a membership association or representative entity, check No.  If your employer is an association or similar membership entity or a representative of businesses, groups, associations, or organizations, and if any of the members/funders is expected this year to pay dues, fees, or other payments amount to over $1,450 or has paid over $1,450 during either of the past two years in dues, fees, or payments, check "Yes.  The list is attached."  If your employer is an association or similar membership entity, and no member has paid, pays, or is expected to pay over $1,450, check the box indicating "Yes.  However no member has paid, pays, or is expected to pay over $1,450."
  9. Some employers have related or closely affiliated political committees whose funds may be used by you to make political contributions.  If the committee’s funds are available for your use in making contributions, check Yes and identify the committee.  If there is no affiliated committee or the committee’s funds will not be available to you for making contributions, check "No."
  10. If the registered lobbyist is a lobbying firm, business, partnership or other entity, use the space provided to identify the firm’s employees or partners who will conduct the actual lobbying.
  11. Check the subject areas about which you anticipate lobbying the legislature.
  12. Your registration must be signed by you and the president or other appropriate officer of the lobbyist employer.  The registration is not valid unless signed by both.

The ID form:

Provide a brief biographical sketch and a passport size (2”x2”) glossy photo.  The photo must have been taken within the last 12 months.  Be sure to include the full name of all employers for whom you will be lobbying on the ID Page as well as all the other information.  The biography should briefly explain your background, your present interests and be approximately 50 words long.  Be sure to describe your qualifications, especially if you have expertise in the areas in which you’ll be lobbying.

Note:  A firm or company registering as a lobbyist must submit an identification page, with photo, for each individual who will lobby on behalf of the firm

Sample biographies:

  • Rebecca Brown is a volunteer lobbyist for PTSA. She has three children – one in grade school, another in middle school, and the third is a junior in high school. Ms. Brown has been active in the state PTSA for five years, has served as president of her local chapter, and has worked on two successful levy campaigns.
  • Dr. Jones has a personal and professional interest in special needs children. In addition to being director of the Child Guidance Center and a board member of Save Our Children, she and her husband devote considerable time and attention to raising their physically challenged daughter. Dr. Jones works without compensation for “Special Children, Special Needs.”
  • Lobbying is only a small portion of John Doe’s duties as chairman of the board of XYZ Corporation. In connection with his postgraduate studies at the University of Washington, he conducted extensive research on water quality and related environmental issues.
  • Attorney Abner Katz has represented the interests of his various employers for several years. Lobbying and public relations are key elements of the service package he provides. Katz devotes approximately one-third of his time to lobbying.